The World Wide Web is a technical medium. It is ruled by technical interfaces which are a result of interweaving of different code snippets, hyperlinks, scripts and encrypted data. Moreover, the data is accessible only through technical media such as web browsers and web applications. Sometimes understanding these applications becomes a challenging job for the non-technical web surfers.
Thus, web professionals worldwide have made it a point to introduce web interfaces which are more user-friendly, intuitive, interactive and most importantly, responsive. And that is why they call this new interface building technique as responsive web designing.
Responsive website designs are nothing but web designs with a human touch. These are the designs that respect the medium on which you are viewing a site and thus, adjust their size accordingly. It is designers counter answer to technical and intricate web designs and interfaces. Such designs are call of the hour where mobile devices are exceedingly becoming the favorite website viewing medium.
There are various techniques that can be deployed in enhancing the interface of a website and making it more user-centric. But, first it is essential to understand the various elements of responsive web designing and how they can make your site more personalized. Heres an overview of three key elements that build up the concept of responsive designing:
(1) Fluid Images: Images form a pivotal part of a web design. For web pages, images are as important as content. If an image with fixed parameters is added to a web page, there are chances that it may exceed the given layout and thus spoil the entire design. Fluid images are images with constraints. These constraints stop the image from exceeding its original size, thus maintaining the flow of the design.
(2) Fluid Grids: A fluid grid layout works on proportions. This means when the concerned layout is either squeezed or expanded, then all the elements on the web page will not only alter their sizes but will also adjust their width with respect to one another.
(3) Media Queries: Fluid grid layouts might constitute a major part of responsive web design, but there are other issues that also need to be tackled. For instance, if a user is viewing a site on a small handheld device, the design might get too narrowed, which have negative impact on the overall design. This where media queries come in. Based on CSS3, media queries not only cater to different device sizes, but also target the physical attributes of the device on which the website is being viewed.
What Benefits Do Responsive Web Designs Render?
Owing to its several benefits, responsive web design has been exceedingly accepted by website owners worldwide as a one stop solution to all their web based needs. Here are some major benefits that every business owner can reap from responsive web designs:
(1) Websites with responsive designs can be viewed on any platform- mobile or desktop- which makes them increasingly user-friendly.
(2) One responsive website can be operated on all devices, which means you have to bear the development cost only once. This saves you a lot of bucks.
(3) Opting for responsive web designs will mean you will have just one website to maintain and update, rather than separate desktop and mobile sites.
(4) As the user-experience is enhanced with responsive designs, the conversion rate is likely to go up, which means more business.
(5) Duplicate content penalties and canonical issues are also prevented as you opt for responsive website designing.
Responsive web design has changed the way lay man perceived websites and web applications. Now, from being just a bunch of technical codes, web apps have moved onto becoming user-friendly and intuitive interfaces that can be accessed from just about anywhere- thanks to responsive web design.